Senior Research Entomologist
TITLE: Senior Research Entomologist
TYPE: Full-time, Salaried Exempt
REPORTS TO: Chief Science Officer or designee
LOCATION: St. Louis, MO
RELOCATION: Relocation package is available
Please send cover letter, resume, and response to questionnaire
to either:Via US Mail to:
6811 Shawnee Mission Parkway
Shawnee Mission, KS 66202Via email to:firstname.lastname@example.orgNo walk-ins or recruiters.RNAissance Ag LLC
(a subsidiary of TechAccel, LLC) is an early-stage startup company developing RNAi-based biopesticides for control of important agricultural pests. We are seeking to expand our team by adding a RNAissance Senior Research Entomologist. The Senior Research Entomologist is a mid-level position and will be located in the Greater St. Louis, Missouri region. The Senior Research Entomologist reports to TechAccel’s Chief Science Officer or designee.
The Senior Research Entomologist works in a laboratory environment, conducting research and development. This role will be integral to our biopesticide discovery and development pipeline by supporting functions from biopesticide discovery through product development. They will help develop exciting new products and contribute to expansion of the company intellectual property estate. This person also proactively works with the broader TechAccel team to help drive the overall technical acumen and inform strategic decisions.
The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge and experience in entomology especially as it pertains to crop protection and home & garden pest control. The candidate should have experience with general molecular biology techniques. A basic understanding or competencies in the application of bioinformatics tools for analyzing genomics data is strongly preferred. Ideally, the candidate will have both academic training and industrial experience. However, we will also consider candidates that are fresh from a Ph.D. program, or a postdoctoral research fellowship.
We are looking for an individual with strong, creative problem-solving skills to troubleshoot and innovate approaches that address project objectives and meet timelines. This person should have a passion for defining and meeting tangible research objectives in an efficient and rapid fashion. The candidate should be able to work independently, and as part of a team. The successful candidate will work closely with TechAccel scientific staff, RNAissance biomanufacturing scientists, consultants, and colleagues focused on marketing & sales, finance, and operations.
The Senior Research Entomologist will help recruit additional team members and will train and supervise junior team members. This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual to leverage their knowledge and creativity to make a real and tangible impact on translating innovation to commercial reality and have a significant influence on the trajectory of the company. Responsibilities:
The Senior Research Entomologist shall:
• Provide entomology scientific leadership for our growing research team. This is a hands-on position, and the successful candidate is expected to both perform research activities as well as help manage junior staff.
• Lead the RNAi biopesticide discovery pipeline.
• Develop and execute high throughput insect bioassays.
• Manage resources, materials, and logistics required to design and execute bioassays and other complex biological experiments primarily in the area of entomology.
• Apply bioinformatics tools to analyze genomics data sets.
• Determine specific technical approaches to be implemented to successfully deliver project goals on a startup timeline and budget.
• Strive for continuous improvement in methods and procedures executed in daily work.
• In addition to leading biopesticide screening, serve as a key member of various project teams.
• Lead and communicate cross-functionally in a clear and impactful way to drive forward RNAi biopesticide development.
• Coach and develop junior personnel.
• Conduct research in accordance with or exceeding all relevant Health, Safety and Environmental guidelines
• Stay up to date on developments within their field through methods such as reading academic journals, attending training programs and attending conferences within their fieldMinimum Requirements:
• Ph.D. in entomology or related field. A master’s degree in entomology or a related field combined with strong relevant experience will also be considered. Some industrial experience is a plus, but not required.
• Able to work in lab, greenhouse, and field environments.
• Strong knowledge of insect physiology, development, and behavior.
• Strong experience in the development of bioassay evaluating pesticides from planning to interpretation.
• Strong knowledge of experimental design, statistical software packages, and statistical analysis methodologies.
• Experience with general molecular biology techniques. Experiences applicable to the analyses of dsRNA fate, gene expression, and high throughput sequencing a plus.
• Strong communication skills; ability to synthesize research results & report to technical & non-technical audiences.
• Demonstrated strengths in organization, planning & project management; the ability to achieve R&D objectives through specific and measurable actions, and in a fast-paced, milestone-driven company.
• Results-oriented, flexible, able to follow-through, and can work under pressure with associated deadlines.
• Self-starter with high level of initiative; resourceful; strong work ethic; excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills required to clearly explain complex issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Proficient in Microsoft Applications; Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
The ideal candidate has at least some of these additional skills:
• Bioinformatics or experience writing code in at least one programming language (php, python, java, perl) preferred.
• Experience in analyzing high-throughput biological data, such as genomics, epigenomics, or transcriptomics data.
• Solid understanding of agriculture markets and trends.About TechAccelTechAccel LLC is a technology and venture development company focused in agriculture, animal health and food technology.
Since its founding in 2014, TechAccel sources, invests in and acquires early-stage innovations. Through collaborations with universities and research institutions, TechAccel conducts science advancement and de-risking research and development to ready technologies for commercialization.
TechAccel is based in Overland Park, Kansas, with offices in St. Louis, Missouri. Visit www.TechAccel.net for more information. Follow us on Twitter at @Tech_Accel and on Linked In at https://www.linkedin.com/company/technology-acceleration-partners-llc/.
TechAccel is an equal opportunity employer. All employees are hired, compensated, promoted, disciplined and evaluated without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. TechAccel strictly prohibits any and all discrimination and harassment based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. Any incident of such harassment or discrimination must be immediately reported to the appropriate management level employee.