Senior Research Entomologist
TITLE: Senior Research Entomologist
TYPE: Full-time, Salaried Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Laboratory Operations
LOCATION: St. Louis, MO
RELOCATION: Relocation package is available
We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience to the successful candidate. Important Note: Candidates for this position must be either a US citizen or have permanent resident status and a valid green card. We are unable to provide work visa sponsorship.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and response to questionnaire
to either:Via US Mail to:
6811 Shawnee Mission Parkway
Shawnee Mission, KS 66202Via email to:email@example.comNo walk-ins or recruiters.RNAissance Ag LLC
(a subsidiary of TechAccel, LLC) is an early-stage startup company developing RNA interference (RNAi) biopesticides for control of important agricultural pests. We are seeking to expand our team by adding a RNAissance Ag Senior Research Entomologist. The Senior Research Entomologist is a mid-level position and will be located in the Greater St. Louis, Missouri region. The Senior Research Entomologist reports to TechAccel’s Director of Laboratory Operations.
The Senior Research Entomologist works in a laboratory environment, conducting research to evaluate the efficacy of pest-control interfering RNAs. This role will be integral to our biopesticide discovery and development pipeline by supporting functions from biopesticide discovery through product development. The Senior Research Entomologist will contribute to the development of exciting new products and to the expansion of the company intellectual property estate. The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge and experience in entomology especially as it pertains to crop protection and home and garden pest control. The candidate should have experience conducting laboratory bioassays to characterize the activity of insecticidal compounds. The candidate should have a strong background in developing, troubleshooting and analyzing bioassay data. Experience with general molecular biology techniques applicable to the analyses of dsRNA fate, gene expression and high throughput sequencing is strongly preferred. The candidate should have an advanced degree in Entomology, Biology or a related field and 5+ years post-graduate experience. Ideally a portion of that experience will be in an industrial lab.
We are looking for an individual with strong, creative problem-solving skills to troubleshoot and innovate novel research methods to address project objectives and meet timelines. This person should have a passion for defining and meeting tangible research objectives in an efficient and rapid fashion. The candidate should be able to work independently, and as part of a team. The successful candidate will work closely with TechAccel scientific staff, RNAissance biomanufacturing scientists, consultants, and colleagues focused on marketing & sales, finance, and operations.
The Senior Research Entomologist will help recruit additional team members and will train and supervise junior team members. This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual to leverage their knowledge and creativity to make a real and tangible impact on translating innovation to commercial reality and have a significant influence on the trajectory of the company. Responsibilities:The Senior Research Entomologist shall:
• Provide entomology scientific leadership for our growing research team. This is a hands-on position, and the successful candidate is expected to both perform research activities as well as help manage junior staff.
• Drive forward RNAissance’s RNAi biopesticide discovery pipeline by:
• Validating existing RNAi targets using molecular and/or physiological methods.
• Contributing to the identification of new RNAi targets through literature curation, collaborations, and experimentation.
• Identifying and working with external collaborators to expand or accelerate biopesticide development.
• Develop and execute high throughput insect bioassays.
• Manage resources, materials, and logistics required to design and execute bioassays and other complex biological experiments primarily in the area of entomology.
• Determine specific technical approaches to be implemented to successfully deliver project goals on a startup timeline and budget.
• Strive for continuous improvement in methods and procedures executed in daily work.
• In addition to leading biopesticide screening, serve as a key member of various project teams.
• Lead and communicate cross-functionally in a clear and impactful way to drive forward RNAi biopesticide development.
• Coach and develop junior personnel.
• Conduct research in accordance with or exceeding all relevant Health, Safety and Environmental guidelines
• Stay up to date on developments within their field through methods such as reading academic journals, attending training programs and attending conferences within their fieldMinimum Requirements:
• Ph.D. in entomology or related field and 5+ years post-graduate experience. A master’s degree in entomology or a related field combined with 10+ years relevant experience will also be considered. Industrial experience is a plus, but not required.
• Able to work in lab and greenhouse environments.
• Strong knowledge of insect physiology, development, and behavior.
• Strong experience in the development of bioassay evaluating pesticides from planning to interpretation.
• Strong knowledge of experimental design, statistical software packages, and statistical analysis methodologies.
• Experience with general molecular biology techniques applicable to the analyses of dsRNA fate, gene expression, and high throughput sequencing a plus.
• Strong communication skills; ability to synthesize research results & report to technical & non-technical audiences.
• Demonstrated strengths in organization, planning & project management; the ability to achieve R&D objectives through specific and measurable actions, and in a fast-paced, milestone-driven company.
• Results-oriented, flexible, able to follow-through, and can work under pressure with associated deadlines.
• Self-starter with high level of initiative; resourceful; strong work ethic; excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills required to clearly explain complex issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Proficient in Microsoft Applications; Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.The ideal candidate has at least some of these additional skills:
• Fluency in Python, R or other programming languages.
• Experience in analyzing high-throughput biological data, such as genomics or transcriptomics data.
• Solid understanding of agriculture markets and trends.About TechAccelTechAccel LLC (Technology Acceleration Partners) is a development company focused on advancing innovation in Agriculture and Animal Health. Our partner relationships with Global Industry Strategics leverage their strong technical expertise, regulatory infrastructure and the global distribution network. TechAccel co-funds the development, de-risking and advancement of technologies that fill partner portfolio gaps or addressing new adjacencies. Technologies typically are focused on the many technical paths address to the rapidly growing food and animal health demands. Partner companies utilize TechAccel to accelerate time to market. TechAccel also provides R&D services to meet partner surge needs as well as technology sourcing services.is a technology and venture development company focused in agriculture, animal health and food technology.
In addition to our strong technology advancement relationships with Global Industry Leaders, TechAccel partners with leading Agriculture and Animal Health Venture Capital firms in advancing emerging technologies found in aggressive and innovative industry start-ups. TechAccel brings a unique Science Advancement role to these relationships in addition to our invested commitments. This dual commitment adds to the enterprise value creation as well as the breadth of potential innovation derived from each integrated relationship.
TechAccel is based in Overland Park, Kansas, with offices in St. Louis, Missouri. Visit www.TechAccel.net for more information. Follow us on Twitter at @Tech_Accel and on Linked In at https://www.linkedin.com/company/technology-acceleration-partners-llc/.
TechAccel is an equal opportunity employer. All employees are hired, compensated, promoted, disciplined and evaluated without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. TechAccel strictly prohibits any and all discrimination and harassment based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. Any incident of such harassment or discrimination must be immediately reported to the appropriate management level employee.